Rug Care Tips
- Washing rugs : If your rug is small and the label says “machine washable”, shake the rug outside first and then put it in the washing machine at the recommended temperature. Use warm water (90 to 105 degrees) and a mild detergent. Tumble your rug dry at the lowest heat setting.
- Beating larger rugs : If your larger rug is easy to pick up, shake it outside first; then put it over a clothesline and beat it. Next, take the rug inside and vacuum it. If the label says dry clean only, then roll it up and take it to a professional rug cleaner. Save time and aggravation by calling first to see if the cleaner does rug cleaning, many do not. Trust your rugs of all types with Allaire Chem-Dry’s technicians who have been trained as an Area Rug Expert for off-site cleaning.
- Vacuuming area rugs : Area rugs with fringe require special technique. Use gentle suction and start from the center of the carpet, vacuuming toward the fringe and being careful not to catch the strands in the beater bar. Lift the carpet edge to vacuum beneath the fringe.
- Caring for Oriental, Turkish or Persian rugs : Clean imported rugs according to your carpet manufacturer’s specifications or bring in a professional cleaning service. Be gentle with fringe. For heirloom-type rugs, you need professionals. Call Allaire Chem-Dry at (732) 751-8520 to learn more about Expert Area Rug cleaning services.
Wool Rug Care
One of the most crucial areas of carpet maintenance is removal of spots and spills. It is of the utmost importance to act quickly when anything is dropped or spilled, and always have the necessary cleaning materials at hand. Allaire Chem-Dry uses special professional cleaning agents designed for use with your wool carpets.
Frequent vacuuming is a wool carpet’s best friend.
- An upright vacuum with a beater bar/brush is the best type for cut pile carpet. A suction-only vacuum may be required for loop pile Berber carpets to prevent excessive fuzzing. Vacuum cleaner dust bag should be emptied when half full.
- Exercise prevention maintenance by placing absorbent mats at the most frequently used entrances to your home. Change or launder when these mats become dirty. Filters in your heating and air conditioning systems should be changed regularly.
- Periodically clean traffic lanes and the areas in front of frequently used chairs.
- Keep absorbent cloth or paper towels and cleaning solutions on hand for quick response to spills and accidents.
- DO NOT apply stain repellent treatments which contain any silicone as they tend to accelerate carpet soiling. (Some carpet manufacturers do not accept responsibility for complaints where such treatments have been used.) When having your wool carpet professionally cleaned by Allaire Chem-Dry, ask about our Wool Safe® products.
Request Rug Pick-Up & Delivery Service
Rug Care Tips in Other NJ Cities